Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Eating School Breakfasts Improves Math Grades????


Apparently, Maryland State Department of Education has decided for us that we as parents are no longer capable of safely providing nutritional meals for our school-aged children as illustrated in the latests propaganda mailed home on our hard earned tax dollars.



Recently, my daughter delivered this gaudy over sized mailer titled
"DID YOU KNOW..."
the postcard lets us know wonderful facts like...
"Compared to lunches from home, school lunches contain twice as much fruit."

Apparently, without knowing I must of been giving my daughter fake fruit all this time. Never again will I consider apples, pears, raisins or oranges to be fruit.

Next, I was reminded about economics.
"It's cheaper to buy a school lunch than to pack one from home with the same nutritional value."
If I were to lazily buy and make my daughter breakfast and lunch I would be waisting about $10.00!!! If I buy school breakfast and lunch I will be investing a meager $21.50 per week..... Wait, isn't $10.00 less then $21.50? Oh well.... Details.....

While we are on the subject of math,
"Eating school breakfast is associated with improved math grades."
I was grateful to learn if I buy my child school breakfast (not make it for her) I will be helping her become a smarter mathematician!

Since we are horrible parents providing non-nutritious meals for our children maybe we should look at a typical school meal consists of. I for demonstration will use todays Breakfast and Lunch 11/16/2010. You can click on the breakfast or lunch link to see their menu.

Breakfast
  • Bagel & Cream Cheese $1.25
  • Breakfast Yogurt Parfait $1.25
  • Cereal $ .75
  • Cornbread Loaf $ .75
  • Crackers, Fun Shapes $ .50
  • Fresh Fruit $ .75
  • Elfin Grahams $ .50
  • Hot Breakfast Entrée $1.25
  • Juice 100% $ .55
  • Oatmeal choc. Chip Bar $1.25
  • Power Wheel $ .75
  • String Cheese $ .50
  • Whole Grain Biscuit $ .75
  • Wheat Breakfast Bun $1.25

Lunch
  • ENTRÉES -
  • Choose 1 Pizza
  • Hamburger
  • Cheeseburger

  • SIDES -
  • Choose Up To 2 Sweet Potatoes
  • Fresh Vegetable Combo
  • Cinnamon Apples
  • Assorted Fresh Fruit Juice

Personally, I would take the Pepsi challenge any day of the week that a homemade sandwich of PB&J with an apple, carrot sticks, grapes or even a Twinkie are much better then the typical menu of cheeseburgers, pizza, chicken nuggets or pork BBQ with a side of french fries or canned fruit with preservatives suspended in sugary syrup.

I have to say I am very disappointed with Maryland State Department of Education. Not only have they lied but they are teaching us that we should depend on them not ourselves. The way they are doing this is also in my opinion very sneaky. They are sowing seeds of doubt on our ability to take care and responsibility for our future generation.

By telling us to teach our children that nutrition is best purchased from school, wont they continue with this behavior by continuing to purchase all meals from places like Burger King or McDonald's? If you think this comment is way off about the direction of how schools view lunch think about the recent comments from The Cincinnati Public Schools Food Services Supervisor, Jessica Shelly, as she recently told a reporter,
"Our main goal was to create a restaurant style food (menu)..."

How long before school introduces a toy in their school lunches.....not long I would bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment