Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Life lessons

I was very lucky in hindsight to have a pseudo-father growing up. An artist and poet, with a giving heart to the beat down and tired. Not wealthy by the worlds standard yet one of the richest people I have ever known. He would make his living by going to flea markets buying then reselling the things the people had for sale. Many times when I asked him why he bought that worthless dirty thing he would say
"One man's junk is another man's treasure"
I always thought this was about material possessions. This morning I wonder if it means a man may see one person as worthless, while others will see him valuable? Or maybe the "bad things" we go through in life can be junk to us, but to others our experience are useful, like addictions or abuse. So many times in life we may never know that the hard times we can go through can help so many other people. Mr. Rodgers said
"If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person."
Our past can shape someones future. The stuff we go through can either build or destroy not only us but the people come into contact with and even our loved ones. Like the child with an alcoholic or abusive parent who becomes an addict. The way we deal with trials and hardships develop our character, good or bad. Helen Keller once said
"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved".

How different my life would be if I had never went to the flea market with my Uncle Bob. I learned everything from discipline, work ethics and later in life, perspective. Many of my charter traits are from him and his time, love and quotes that he poured into me. I hope this encourages you to look at anything your going through in a new light and reminds you that we are all connected to each other. Lastly
"There was a man and they called him mad;
the more he gave the more he had".

1 comment:

  1. Thank You for this post ... awesome ... both retrospective and introspective
    <3

    ReplyDelete